Friday 28 September 2012

Positively Negative

There's been a bit of a trend recently for using negative space on pages - backing holes made by the Slice or Craft Robo or Silhouette with patterned paper as way of adding depth to a page.  I have been looking on enviously as I don't own any machines (or even punches) capable of cutting out the middle of pages like that.  I was therefore a little perplexed when the Counterfeit Kit Challenge Blog announced their third challenge for September: to use the negative space from punches or die cuts.


OK, I don't have a fancy machine but I do have plenty of punches so I got busy with some stars and circles to go with a photo of a Michaels store in Las Vegas that was the highlight of our stash shopping {and the starting reason for organising a trip to the U.S.A.}

Layout - Store Attraction - Michaels in Las Vegas - Jimjams

Thanks to Clair's recent Stitching On Paper class I'm still exploring hand-stitching and had fun with a great technique I learned from Kinsey Wilson's blog which I used to make faux negative space letters for my title.  I've used one of my favourite free fonts, Teen, which matches my teeny tiny Banana Frog stamps and my diminishing supply of Scenic Route chipboard alphas .


Challenge combining as ever, I've used the August sketch from Scrapfriends as part of a September Weekly Challenge on UKS. All Almost all supplies are from my September Counterfeit Kit, including home-made tags, but not including the lovely stripy chevron washi tape - that was kindly sent to me by Alison - thank you :o)

21 comments:

scrappymo! said...

What a great layout...I like your negative space.
Perfect for this layout.

JulieJ said...

Love all those patterns. So what did you buy?

Mary B said...

lol I love your faux negative space and it looks more negative than a lot of real ones do on the computer as my eyes play silly bees and reverse the shadow lol

Lesley G said...

Love it! Especially the cluster on the RHS and the way you've used a photo there!

scrappyjacky said...

What a great page....love all the combinations of patterned paper and how you've stitched 'store' on.

K said...

Oh hunny, I LOVE the stitching!!!
Must have taken you a while but so worth it.

Sian said...

Wow, there are so many details to enjoy on this page! You have turned the challenge round and used it absolutley to your advantage

Margie said...

Awesome layering, and I love the stitching!

alexa said...

Lots of lovely detail here - and I especially like that star used for the O. Very clever!

Abi said...

This is such a great use of negative space!

Clair said...

Oh Jemma! This is awesome! I love the faux negative space :)

Maria Ontiveros said...

Love the colors.
Rinda

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

very nice looking layout!

Missus Wookie said...

I've been looking enviously at all those machines too! Love the stitching and layers.

Oh and trips to craft stores are always on the itinerary when ever I go to the US.

furrypig said...

love it love it love it
and love the fact we will be together again in March!!!

happysnapper said...

hummm liking the faux negative space, however I do have a fancy machine so I really should get on and use some vrai negative space soon. Thanks for the inspiration as always.

Susanne said...

Details, details, details - fabulous creation!!

glorygirl said...

This looks GREAT! Love your title treatment and the amazing stitching details!

Rebecca at How I Burb said...

Wait....your letters aren't really negative space? I love it! The stitching is great, too.....really great title and page! (and now I want to go shopping!) haha

Sassy Breese said...

Lots to look at here. This page is just as much fun as a trip to Michael's

Lisa-Jane said...

I'm jealous of a trip to Michaels! Another fab layout and I think I recognise some MME Boy papers there?