Friday 26 October 2012

Lean Mean MAXI-book

Over on UKScrappers it's Cybercrop time.  Things have been building up during the last month ... with pre-cop activities and challenges ... but today was the start of the CC proper.  There's lots of free inspiration over there - and prizes too!

So far I've only managed to join in with one pre-crop activity: the Mystery Kit Challenge, where you buy a kit of unknown content and make something or some things with it - BUT you aren't allowed to add anything to the kit except a few limited extras e.g.black/white paint, black/white thread, black/white ink, adhesive ...

I forgot to take a photo before I got cutting - but the kit was based around a Stamping Up Tickets & Tags Kit similar to this digi download on the SU site.  I decided to see if I could expand upon my Lean Mean Mini-Book and make a larger album from the good quality double-sided patterned papers.

Collage - 3 views of Lean Mean MAXI-book - Jimjams

After much experimentation with 12x12 page protector inserts, I worked out what I could do with 2½ sheets of double-side paper and 3 sheets of cardstock ... and made an eleven page book with 5" square pages and enough tags and pockets to hold 21 3"x4" photos!

Collage - pp1,2,3 Lean Mean MAXI-book - Jimjams

The photos are from our 2004 trip to Florida and feature No.2 Son, aged 12, "meeting" the various cast members. At 14 No.1 Son felt he was too old to do this and Child No.3 was only interested in the classic princesses and cute furry creatures.

Collage - pp4-7 of Lean Mean MAXI-book - Jimjams

Not all the photos had colours that "went" with the papers e.g. The Grinch was much too green, so they were relegated to the pockets.

Collage - pp8-11 of Lean Mean MAXI-book - Jimjams

I had originally intended to scrap the majority of these photos on a double page in with the rest of our Florida trip ... but this way No.2 Son has his own little mini- MAXI-book.

P.S. If anyone knows the identity of the characters in this photo - please let me know - they offered to pose with our son in the Magic Kingdom's Adventureland near the Swiss Family Robinson Tree House and we felt rude asking who they were :o)  I'm hoping that they were cast members and not just a couple of weirdos in fancy dress!!!

Photo - mystery cast members at Magic Kingdom 2004

ETA: They're not the Wild Thornberrys as they are Nickelodeon not Disney - nice try though Missus W :o)

ETA: My instructionsfor the Lean Mean MAXI-book are now available here and here - enjoy!

13 comments:

Mary B said...

Jemma it looks really great, love how it has come together so well.

Jane said...

love your mini book, had to laugh at your last comment.

Dawn said...

Would love a tutorial for how you put this together! Love the idea that your son gets a book of his own!

humel said...

Wow Jemma, this is fab! :) I'm afraid I don't recognise the weirdos though....

Missus Wookie said...

Are they the Thornberrys? But even if they are random weirdos - they're well dressed random weirdos.

Cool looking album and I'm planning on having a go at your lean mean album for one of my week in the life sets, but I'd also love a tutorial for the larger version. You know.... in all your spare time ;)

The comment on the grinch being too green so was consigned to a pocket made me laugh too :lol:

alexa said...

This is lovely - and such a lot of work has gone into it! I'd be doing the same with a photo that didn't match the papers, so smiled in recognition :).

Alison said...

I think Missus Wookie might be right!....love the book!
Alison xx

Sandie said...

I love making mini albums and mine often end up maxi's too! Hope you find out who the two characters are lol

scrappyjacky said...

I'm a big fan of mini books...and love this one....even with the weirdos.

Melissa said...

Fantastic album!! Not sure who those last characters are, but Robbie & I agree that they are part of the park because those are very nice coordinated (& expensive) costumes.

Jolene said...

Wow such a lovel project Jemma, I would love you to share the instructions.

Lisa-Jane said...

That's so funny, they really DO look like the Thornberrys! Its a fabulous book with great colours. I particularly like the folded back pages - nice touch!

MiliPea Designs said...

What a wonderful book! I love all those little pockets.