Tuesday 12 November 2013

Sofa Friends & Scrapfriends

Jimjams - layout detail - stitching and embellishment cluster
I have a number of sketch challenge sites in Feedly and usually grab a few sketches from around the web for inspiration before a crop.

I don't actually print them out - just re-sketch them onto a scrap of paper, indicating where the photo, title and journalling will be, along with any embellishment groups.  This more or less guarantees that my page strays from the original sketch, especially if I can't refer back to it before finishing the page.

This month I popped over to Scrapfriends and grabbed their November sketch (#19), my November Counterfeit Kit and a festive photo: our three kids and their cousins have been snapped on our sofa almost every Christmas for the last 17 years ... it's getting harder to gather them all together thanks to jobs/studies/travels and it is definitely harder to squeeze them onto it. 
{It won't happen this year either as we are facing our very first Christmas without No.1 Son; my heart strings are being tugged hard each time I cut an apron string *sigh*}

Jimjams - layout - Xmas 2010

Scrapfriends - November sketchI remembered that there were some feathers hanging down on the sketch and chose to interpret them as hanging baubles because we use them to display our Christmas cards from them each year - see what I mean about deviating from the sketch LOL

There's a colour challenge over at Scrapfriends in a couple of days ... I wonder how far I'll wander from that ;-)

In the meantime they also have a great blog candy giveaway at the moment ... take a look here for details.

Giveaway @ Scrapfriends

P.S. See my title figures there ... they were plain grungeboard ... amazing what a little blue ink, a swirly stamp and some black Stazon can do - check out other ideas for changing colour over at the Counterfeit Kit Challenge Blog today!

12 comments:

Lesley G said...

Loving that page Jemma especially those baubles :) x

Susanne said...

Great page - neat photo. I like your stitching details. And a good reminder to use the plain chipboard too. Thanks Jemma.

scrappyjacky said...

Love the page....great use of colour.

alexa said...

I love the two colour background and the clever circles which bring the colour of the top into the bottom. Super!

LCSmithSAVED said...

Love the hanging baubles - I can see them in your photo! I feel your apron string pain, altho it his been awhile for me :(
I think you did right nicely after that sketch

Vikki said...

I love the way you interpreted that sketch, great job. Also well done with the grungeboard, I have some to use as well!

Lizzy Hill said...

Hey there! Nice to see you joining in our Scrap Friends sketch...& you strayed beautifully! It's all about the inspiration anyways...loooove this tradition of 'couch sitting'...& the baubles work a treat:):):)

Clair said...

You interpret sketches so perfectly - I love how you adapt each element to fit your own theme. Perfection!

Tina Campbell said...

cool layout and I just love the colors

Tara O said...

I love that you translated the feathers into baubles. Great job on that sketch which looked hard to me until I saw your take! Love the colors and the story behind the photo too!!

Maria Ontiveros said...

Love, love, love the colors in this!
Rinda

Miae said...

Totally neat take on the sketch with the lovely clean design! Thank you for joining us at Scrap Friends!