Monday 14 July 2014

Little Mermaid

Jimjams - Layout detail - embellishment clusterBack in March, I attended a brilliant retreat organised by the lovely Lesley. The weekend was full of surprises and challenges, including one which asked us to create something from a small kit containing only cardstock, a couple of double-sided papers, two clear chevron-patterned bags and a wood veneer camera! We were allowed to use glue, stamps, pens, punches and ONE other item from our stash!

Quite a tall order, but made easier when we discovered the ONE item could be multiples of the same embellishment.

It turned out that one of the papers had the text from Hans Christian Andersen's "Little Mermaid" on one side ... and guess what I had sitting in my pile of Scandinavian photos from last summer???

Jimjams - layout - Den Lille Havfrue - Copenhagen's Little Mermaid

Jimjams - Layout detail - Die-cut, inked and stamped title
I also discovered that my Bo Bunny hexagon stamp and my Spellbinders hexagon embossing folder were an almost a perfect match, allowing me to add a few layers of texture.  The single kit sheet of white cardstock was gutted behind the panel of papers to allow me to die-cut my title and mount them on white tiles.

In fact, I only used one of the papers and one of the bags provided (for the chevron strips) ... with 21 identical clear buttons from my stash!

A fun idea for a challenge don't you think?

19 comments:

Lesley G said...

Aw! A beautiful layout Jemma, love the hexagons and the button "wave" :)

Michele said...

You couldn't have been given any more perfect paper for that photo! Love what you did with the kit and the button wave finishes it all off beautifully :)

Elizabeth said...

Beautiful page and inspirational scrapbooking too - the wavy line of clear buttons is such a clever embellishment.

kjjc said...

I loved this layout so much i bought the stamp and the embossing folder. Haven't done anything with them yet but I will. Newly inspired by seeing this layout again.

Sarah said...

Great challenge and you came up with a fab layout with such limited supplies! love the hexagons and the button wave is lovely! x

Sandie said...

That sounds a great challenge - sometimes being restricted is so liberating!!!

Sandra said...

It's a gorgeous layout and I must admit I scrap more at a crop when I take a minimum amount of stash with me. Less to get distracted by, I think

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

A restriction on supplies definitely makes for more creativity. I like the way you've added strips of the chevron patterned bag. It looks like washi tape. Great page.

Scrapthology said...

This is lovely, almost ethereal.

Missus Wookie said...

Oh I like this, definitely a plus to have to think outside the box or bag in this instance.

Claire said...

This is gorgeous, love the little camera.
Claire xx

The Scrapbook Lady UK said...

very nice :) I like the embossed hexagons... jx

Chidkid said...

A very challenging challenge indeed! Great job.

jill said...

I like the effect you get with using the clear buttons in your Lo.

Mary B said...

stunning page love the crispness of the blue on white

Virginia said...

Gorgeous layout, love the hexagons behind

Susanne said...

Wow, that's a pretty restrictive challenge and you came out with a fabulous page - impressive.

Julene Matthews said...

This came out perfectly.

Lisa said...

the perfect layout for this pretty photo (another town on my list)! you were very inventive in your interpretation of the challenge and the layout is still totally you